Tuesday, April 14, 2009

What IS a "Bad day"?

It's about perspective! We've all had days where it seems all we do is go from bad to worse. Mom's have days where we feel that maybe we haven't accomplished what we wanted to, in our home, with our children, in our relationships and in our schooling. IS that what makes a bad day?

I've had days where I felt I hadn't done anything right. I was sure my kids were better off in the care of someone else, this usually passes with a nap and some chocolate. Still, we are under alot of pressure to succeed with our children. We're taught to think of ourselves in terms of how well others around us, under our care, are doing. Did Jr. finish well in school? Did our daughter marry well? Did our sons find jobs? Are they lazy? We often gauge our success by the success or failure of our children. Is this the right perspective?

One question that always plaques my mind, was I prepared to raise, educate and train these children. I believe the answer is yes. Not because my parents educated me, for they did not. My parents were not even the ones who cared for me in most of my formative years. So... would you ask a one legged man to teach you to ride a bike?

What is his perspective? I would assume, my bad days ... are nothing compared to this day. How did he measure success? If the child does not learn to ride today, is it because he has one leg? Is it because the teacher was not prepared? Is it because he did not care enough?

I would think those things unfair, when applied to this situation. Yet, I'm that hard on myself.

Maybe I don't have many bad days after all. Maybe I just have the wrong perspective.

Measure success by where you were last year at this time. Measure the little things. Measure with grace for yourself and for the others in your life. Hmm guess I need to practice that a little more often. My life is good, I don't have the challenges many others have. I'm having a good day.






No comments:

Post a Comment